atellite with AR
GOS and AL
TIKA (SARAL) is a joint Indo-French satellite mission for oceanographic studies. SARAL will perform altimetric measurements designed to study ocean circulation and sea surface elevation.
The payloads of SARAL are:
Ka band Altimeter, ALTIKA
- built by the French National Space Agency CNES.
The payload is intended for oceanographic applications, operates at 35.75 Giga Hertz.
ARGOS Data Collection System
- built by the French National Space Agency CNES. ARGOS contributes to the development and operational implementation of the global ARGOS Data Collection System. It will collect a variety of data from ocean buoys to transmit the same to the ARGOS Ground Segment for subsequent processing and distribution.
Solid State C-band Transponder (SCBT)
is from ISRO and intended for ground RADAR calibration. It is a continuation of such support provided by C-Band Transponders flown in the earlier IRS-P3 and IRS-P5 missions.
The payloads of SARAL are accommodated in the Indian Mini Satellite-2 bus, which is built by ISRO.
SARAL data products will be useful for operational as well as research user communities in many fields like
- Marine meteorology and sea state forecasting
- Operational oceanography
- Seasonal forecasting
- Climate monitoring
- Ocean, earth system and climate research
- Continental ice studies
- Protection of biodiversity
- Management and protection of marine ecosystem
- Environmental monitoring
- Improvement of maritime security